iNaturalist is an online social network and app that lets users take photos of nature and identify what they observe.
It is a great way to get outside and learn about the plants and animals in the park! By submitting sightings, you contribute to valuable biodiversity data.
The iNaturalist project for Colony Farm Regional Park has over 3000 observations by 125 people!
TO CONTRIBUTE, follow these easy steps:
- If you don’t have an iNaturalist account, go to the iNaturalist website at inaturalist.ca/signup. You only need to provide an email address, username, and password.
- Take photos in the Regional Park and upload them to iNaturalist – they will automatically be included in the project.
- Optional: Download the iNaturalist app on your smartphone or mobile device that you can take to the park (Android or iOS). It’s free! You can set up your account through the app instead of the website.
Please stay on the trails. Do not disturb the creatures or pick the plants that you are observing!
Are you new to iNaturalist?
Check out these tutorials on how iNaturalist works:
- From your phone: “How to make an observation on iNaturalist”
- From the iNaturalist website: “How to use iNaturalist’s Photo and Sound uploader”
Tips & Tricks
- Remember to turn on GPS location function for your camera or mobile device so coordinates can be embedded into your photo
- While you can use the mobile app in the park, it can take time and use data. We actually recommend you take as many photo observations as you can while in the park and when you get home, upload them via your computer or mobile device.
- For the best chance at identifying what you see, take multiple photos and combine them into a single observation (top, side, bottom, and habitat are good shots to try for).
- Have fun!