NATURE AMBASSADOR COORDINATOR
Organization: Colony Farm Park Association
Location: Coquitlam/Port Coquitlam, BC
Compensation: $25-30/hour depending on
Contract start date: ASAP
Contract end date: December 31, 2023 (with possibility of renewal)
The Organization: The Colony Farm Park Association (CFPA) fully acknowledges that we work on the traditional and unceded territory of the kʷikʷəƛəm people.
CFPA is a non-profit community-based organization that works in partnership with Metro Vancouver Parks to manage Colony Farm Regional Park in a manner that respects the environment, the wishes of the general community and the principles of the area’s land use plan which recognizes wildlife values, passive recreation, and agriculture. CFPA has a
number of well-established programs and events for which CFPA board members are seeking additional support.
CFPA is seeking a part-time resource person to assist board members in:
● the coordination and delivery of volunteer stewardship programs in Colony Farm Regional Park;
● Leading and recruitment of volunteers for nature ambassador program;
● the coordination of a series of free public events on a range of themes and targeting different audiences;
● support volunteer coordination for at least 4 annual CFPA events;
● support volunteer coordination for bird counts and bat counts;
● support CFPA involvement in 4-6 community events in the region;
● and, building capacity, primarily through volunteer development
The contractor is accountable to the full CFPA Board of Directors and will report through CFPA Chair, Jane Thomsing.
Stewardship Volunteer Work Parties
● Assist in delivering hands-on volunteer stewardship programs including invasive species removal, wildlife
monitoring, and native planting work parties.
● Ensure activities operate in accordance with risk management and safety standards outlined by Metro
● Assist in coordination of equipment and invasive plant disposal with Metro Vancouver
Annual Education Events
● Coordinate and recruit volunteers for our on-site nature ambassador program;
● Assist in coordination of our annual education events (4 maximum)
● Provide support to board members as needed to arrange and confirm walk leaders
● Attend events in a support role as needed (e.g. to greet tour leaders, volunteers, attendees and address any logistical details)
● Assist the CFPA board with other components of event planning as needed (e.g. promotion, event set-up and take-down, etc.)
Community Events and Outreach
● Recruit volunteers to support board members at the CFPA pop-up info booth in the parks and other community events.
● Establish relationships with community organizations/groups to achieve CFPA volunteer recruitment goals (e.g. high schools, volunteer centres, service groups, community groups, etc.) and maintain a resource database of contacts.
● Attend events in a support roles as needed (e.g. to recruit volunteers, to support board member volunteers with logistics)
● Establish a volunteer reporting system and help maintain volunteer and membership
● Social Media and Website Support
Other Duties as Required
● May include general administrative support
● Assist in the maintenance and updating of CFPA display material
● Maintain walk statistics and metrics: attendance numbers
● Maintain a contact list of event attendees
● Maintain a sign in/out sheet for equipment use (binoculars, etc)
The contractor must be able to work at a home office with their own computer (with internet access) and cellular phone.
The contractor must have their own transportation as a large portion of this work is on location. Meetings and activities take place primarily in Colony Farm Regional Park, in Coquitlam/Port Coquitlam, BC and Metro Vancouver Central Area Office in Burnaby, BC. The contractor will have access to information at Metro Vancouver offices as necessary.
The annual contract is to a maximum of $10,000.00 and the hours each month will vary according to the requirements of the tasks assigned.
● Demonstrated experience in working with a non-profit Board of Directors
● Ability to identify native and invasive plant species
● Strong administrative, organization, and record-keeping skills
● Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
● Computer skills (familiar with Microsoft Office programs, familiar with social media)
● Public relations skills
● Ability to work part-time with flexible hours including evenings and weekends
● Knowledge of the region (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Anmore, Belcarra)
● Self-starter with a high level of motivation and an ability to thrive with minimal supervision, and work as part of a
● Enthusiastic and outgoing, with excellent people skills
● Interest and commitment to regional parks, and an appreciation of nature
● Criminal record check
● Driver’s License and access to a vehicle
● Level 1 First Aid training
Please submit a cover letter and resumé by email to
the Contract Manager:
firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Colony Farm Park Association
9146 Avalon Avenue, Burnaby, BC V3N 4G8
For more information:
Contact Jane Thomsing at email@example.com